Penn South – Home Organized Personal Services
PS-HOPS Benefits Brochure 2016
Welcome to PS-HOPS, sponsored by Penn South Social Services, Inc. Our purpose is to assist individuals and families to live as independently as possible in their own homes. We provide information about products and services made available at discounted prices to our members, and we monitor our providers for quality and pricing.
HOME HEALTH AIDES (HHAs): Partners In Care (PIC), an affiliate of Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY), has partnered with PS-HOPS to provide Home Health Aide services to all PS-HOPS members as follows:
- If you are a resident of Penn South with a PS-HOPS Individual membership, you are entitled to up to 40 hours of services annually at the substantially reduced rate of $10.00 per hour.
- A Family membership for Penn South residents (age 18+) is entitled to the same rate for up to 50 hours of services
- The rate for subsequent hours is $20.25 per hour, which is a 10% off with a PS-HOPS membership, of the normal PIC rates of $22.50 an hour.
- If you and your family are not residents of Penn South, your PS-HOPS membership still entitles you to the 10% discounted rate of $20.25 for regular hours of service.
- Overtime rates, by federal legislation may apply, at $30.37 per hour, if an aide works over 40 hours per week.
- Holiday rates are also $30.37 per hour for all members.
- If a nurse is required to establish a Plan of Treatment, PIC’s normal fee of $95.00 is waived for all PS-HOPS
- Home Health Aides provide a variety of services including meal preparation, cooking, bathing, dressing, light housekeeping and medication
- Requests for services must be made 24 to 48 hours in advance and there is a 24-hour cancellation
- To request services, call PIC at 212-609-7700 and choose Option #2.
A variety of legal services are available to our members at discount prices. Members are encouraged to consider what their legal problems are before contacting the attorney who has agreed to provide services to our members. Contact Brian Raphan, Esq. at 212-268-8200. Located at 7 Penn Plaza (31st St. & 7th Ave.), 8th Floor.
HEARING AIDS & AUDIOLOGY:
- Center for Hearing & Communication (CHC) will provide discounts for monaural or binaural aids, and other benefits, including free hearing aid checking and hearing aid cleaning. Email appointments@chcHearing.org or contact Maria Rosado at 917-305-7766.
- AUDICUS offers a new type of hearing aid service that enables purchasers to order online. AUDICUS offers a 45-day trial and a full refund if you are not satisfied. PS-HOPS members will receive a 5% discount on purchases. For further information, contact the company online at audicus.com or call Eli Pauley at 888-979-6918.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL COMMUNICATION:
Provided by Tunstall (formerly AMAC). An emergency alert system that enables you to contact help with the push of a button. Tunstall will install its equipment in your home with no installation charge. Your fee is $20 a month. Call 800-645-3244.
- PS-HOPS members can refill their eyeglass prescriptions and receive a 25% discount at this local business. Visit or contact Manhattan Eyeworks at 241 W. 23rd , 212-243-5898.
- Another eyewear provider offers an additional 10% discount on already discounted frames. Visit or contact Unique Eyewear, located in Room 1218 at 19 W. 34th , near 5th Ave., 212-947-4977.
The two local pharmacies listed below regularly offer a 10% discount to all seniors for over-the-counter items that are not on sale.
- NuCare Pharmacy offers PS-HOPS members a 15% discount on Doctor Comfort shoes and the services of a trained salesperson who will bring samples and measure homebound members in the home. Located at 250 9th at 25th St. Call Robert at 212-462-2525.
- New London Pharmacy: Located at 246 8th near 23 St. Call 212-243-4987.
We urge you to share your experiences with us when using PS-HOPS. If there are other health and social service providers or products you recommend, please contact us so we can consider them for inclusion in the PS-HOPS program.
PS-HOPS and Penn South Program for Seniors are sponsored by Penn South Social Services, Inc.